Computer Running Slower Than a Snail?
PCs don’t have to slow down over time. Whether your PC has gradually become slower over time or it suddenly ground to a halt a few minutes ago, there could be many reasons why it’s leaving snail trails.
The top five reasons for a slow PC:
- Active virus, malware, or spyware
- Too many files in your “temporary data” folder
- A fragmented hard drive
- Too many applications running in the background
- Too many toolbars running in your internet browser
The best fix for the above problems is to call PC Therapist. We’d be happy to provide Remote Technical Support!
Or you can do it yourself using the following pointers:
- Virus/Malware/Spyware: Always maintain up-to-date virus/malware/spyware protection programs. To clean an infected computer, try Housecall from Trend Micro or Security Scan from Kaspersky. For businesses, use Trend Micro, Kaspersky, or Vipre, depending on your business needs. For home computers, we recommend Avast (it works on both PCs and Macs — and it’s FREE!).
- Too many files: clean out unnecessary files, including those in your temporary file data folder, by downloading and running CCleaner on a weekly basis.
- Too many applications: your computer may “start up” with multiple programs that you don’t need. To see what programs are running in the background and how much memory and CPU they’re using, open Task Manager. To remove unwanted programs in Windows 7 or 8, call PC Therapist.
- Too many toolbars: when installing new software or updates, the installation process often adds toolbars and/or changes your Home page or search engine. To remove unwanted toolbars, go to “Add/Remove Programs” in your Control Panel.
- Fragmented hard drive: download and run Defraggler on a weekly basis.
We’re here to help… send us an Email or give us a call!
PLEASE pass this on to family and friends.